Knights or Nights in White Satin?



Another very personal M.E. for me. Let me start by saying that "Knights in White Satin" came out 7 years before I was born. It was a song that I had only heard the chorus to in commercials advertising oldies albums. 

Having never seen the song title written, I heard "Nights in White Satin," imagining people sitting in the dark wearing white satin robes or something.

Fast forward to 2013, I'm 39 years old and my significant other posts a link to the song on my Facebook page. I read the title and was like, duh! "Knights", not "nights" in white satin.

It was the first time I had heard the whole song and it was so beautiful that I actually cried as I listened to it. This song became very special to me and always reminded me of my darling every time I heard it.

Earlier this year, I checked YouTube for this extended version of the song and it said "Nights in White Satin". I checked every YouTube video I could find and did a bunch of Google searches and all I came up with was "nights". 



I asked people on Facebook and no one remembered "knights", but I knew I wasn't mistaken because of this specific incident. Now, I definitely have proof that I wasn't crazy.













                              Knights!

Comments

  1. Up to the point that you were 39, this all was quite reasonable. You actually had the correct title in your mind, but never having seen it written, you were willing to believe it was actually "Knights" when someone you (presumably)trusted came along and told you otherwise. The problem comes in later when you discovered that almost all sources actually used "Nights". It appears that you were more willing to believe that most of the rest of the world was wrong, instead of the fact that your trusted friend simply made a mistake. A not uncommon emotion among people.

    To me, this isn't so much an example of the Mandela effect, as it is just many people making the same *easy to make* mistake. Your 9 examples above are just 9 examples of people making the same mistake. Some of them could be as simple as typos. I don't really see it as people "remembering it differently".

    This is all further complicated by the fact that a singer named Giorgio Moroder released an Album in 1976(9 years after the Moody Blues song) titled "Knights in White Satin". Oy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gregc8080, you clearly didn't pay attention to what I wrote. The first time I saw it written, it was "Knights". It's not that someone just told me it was written that way. I saw it in print! I know about Giorgio Moroder's song in 1976 and as you can see, there were articles written with "knights" before that year. Were the writers psychic?

      Delete
  2. Oh, one other thing I forgot in my last message: The main reason I know this song is "Nights" and not "Knights", is that the song first appeared on a 1967 concept album by the Moody Blues called "Days of Future Past", in which each song was titled as, and meant to represent, a specific time of day. The album begins with (literally) "The Day Begins", and ends with "Nights in White Satin".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the point of the Mandela Effect. There is no one right answer. What you know for sure is different from what other people know for sure.

      Delete

Post a Comment