Mel's Mandela Recall Part 3

In my post Kennedy Assassination. How many in the car?, an anonymous commenter wrote that he/she remembered Governor Connally wearing a hat during the assassination of JFK. I stated that I vaguely remembered him in a hat and lo and behold, I found a picture of Connally wearing a hat in my book, The Killing of a President. Thanks Mr. or Ms. Anonymous for pointing that out!




What I find interesting about this photo is that Mrs. Connally is not shown. If she had been right there next to her husband, why would the photographer have just cropped her out? I believe this photo is also evidence of only 4 people being in the car. 

The rest of the book now shows the 6-seater, which was not there 23 years ago when I bought the book. Many other photos are too blurry to make out the number of people in the car, which is weird, since the 6-seater photos are crystal clear, as if they were taken in modern times. Very strange indeed!

Comments


  1. I was 15 years old when JFK was assassinated. I remember in great detail where I was and the things
    that happened and what people around me said and did. I also remember the pictures of the event and the car. The horror of seeing Jackie Kennedy climbing out onto the back of the vehicle- the secret service agent man handling her back to a safer place. I remember they were in the very back set of the car, gov. Connelly and his wife in the seat in front of them. The gov. was right in front of Kennedy and his wife next to him. In the front seat the driver of car was sitting and of course driving. I remember it seemed like the passengers had plenty of room.
    Free to move around like people who are greeting a crowd. Even if I couldn’t remember a driver, since I remember so vividly remember the four passengers- there had to be a driver! I didn’t notice the front seat so well because I was watching especially the President
    and First Lady until the shots ran out the governor began to move which caused me to notice the 2nd
    seat passengers. I’m not sure why
    they made the replica on Roscoe, Ill. was only a 2 seat 4 passenger car but it’s not correct.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment