Wykoop St. in Denver Has Vanished


So, I'm freaking the fuck out. This is my first Mandela Effect in progress. Let me start by saying that I've been living in Denver for only about a month and a half, so learning the street names has been a top priority! Even before I moved here, I searched for apartments and one of them I saw was the Mercantile Square Lofts on WYKOOP St. 



I finally moved to Denver this past September and after being stuck in a small town for two years, I spent many days riding the free mall bus up and down 16th St. just so I could remember what being part of civilization felt like. 

One of the last stops before the mall bus goes to Union Station is/was Wykoop St., which is near Wewatta St. and Wazee St. The names are very memorable because they all begin with "w", they all sound like words foreign to the English language, and Wazee reminds me of "wazoo", as in "up the wazoo", making me crack up to myself each time I pass it.

Soooo, a few days ago, the assistant manager at my job was giving us suggestions for places to go for our holiday party and Wynkoop (pronounced wine-koop) Brewery was one of the options. I thought it was a play on words because they served alcohol and it was on Wykoop Street, but no! 

 
Today, I rode the mall bus and as I stared at the electronic board, which announced the stops. I was baffled to see "Wynkoop" listed. As usual with the Mandela Effect, I thought, "How could I have misread this street name all this time?" I listened careful as the android-like voice called out the stop and I heard "Wykoop", although the board said, "Wynkoop". Grabbing my phone, I Googled "Wykoop St." and reaffirmed that I wasn't crazy. The Mercantile Square Lofts came up as Wykoop St. 




On subsequent searches, many businesses came up for Wykoop St.


 



You mean to tell me that these businesses don't know what street they're located on? 




There are books that reference Wykoop St. 



In this community planning document from October 25, 2017, you don't think they know the same of the street they're planning on? 



Other documents reference Wykoop St. 




The change is still is in progress because many searches come up as Wykoop, but when you click on the document, it's Wynkoop. 


I could be here all night, so WTF is going on? Is it like the movie Dark City, where they change things on a regular basis with no one noticing? Is someone deliberately fucking with our memories? IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE FROM DENVER WHO CAN CHIME IN ON THIS? Thanks.

Comments

  1. This is probably just a spelling error. Like you said, it's a name that's not English and that's why it's probaby sometimes spelled incorrectly. This reminds me of the actress Katharine Hepburn, whose name was often (even on movie posters) spelled incorrectly as "Katherine". I don't think this is a Mandela effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should know by now that The Mandela Effect is not about spelling errors. I was looking at the street sign and listening to the automated announcement for the past few months and it was Wykoop. English words or not, we are not a bunch of idiots who can't spell just because a word doesn't have na English origin. The street I grew up on was Tuscora, near Osceola St. and I lived in Cuyahoga county. As a small child, I managed to learn to spell the names of the streets and geographical markers with no problems.

      Delete
  2. I didn't mean to insult you. I was just stating that spelling errors can occur, even in official documents. There are certainly good examples of the Mandela effect (like the number of people in JFK's car when he was assassinated), but I don't think this is one of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry if I came off as a jerk, that's not what I intended. I'm just freaked out because this is something I saw change in a short time. I looked at the street sign one week and it was different the next, just like the Komatsu truck, which I posted about: http://mandelaeffectproof.blogspot.com/2017/11/komatsu.html

      Delete

Post a Comment