Uraguay


Sooooo. . . How do you change the name of a country without anyone noticing? Are the people living in Uraguay aware that the spelling of their country name has changed or are they all asleep? I really would love to question some Uruguayans on that. HOW DO YOU SPELL AND PRONOUNCE THE NAME OF YOUR COUNTRY? It's like me waking up one day and finding myself living in The United States of Amerrika, with no one even batting an eye about the spelling. 

I studied Spanish since I was a child and there were times in class where we had to remember the countries and capitals in South America. Of course, Uraguay was similar to Paraguay, so why the hell is it now Uruguay? The "u" after the "r" changes the pronunciation completely!

There are over 13, 000 results for "Uraguay" at newspapers.com. There are also many books that use this spelling as well.

















                         Books in English, Portuguese, and French reference "Uraguay".

                               ¿Donde están los uruguayos? ¿Cual es el nombre de su país?

Comments

  1. I've always known the name of the country to be spelled as "Uruguay".

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment