The Island or Islands of New Zealand


This is one of those MEs that has been bugging me. I have a vague memory of New Zealand being one island and not two, but not many people seem to remember this. Evidence is scarce, but since I'm not the only one with this memory, I may be on to something. People even remember NZ being to the northeast of Australia, but that's another post!


Does History Explain Alternate Geographical Memories?


Evidence of one island is scarce, but in a vintage store today, I found an old French globe, which shows NZ as one island and shaped more the way I remember it. If you Google "New Holland", the original name of Australia, you can't find NZ shaped this way on any other map.









According to The Sun, "A lost continent that sunk 100 million years ago has been discovered underneath New Zealand." It has been dubbed "Zealandia".



Did this land mass really exist 100 million years ago or in our lifetime? This is like the supposed "ancient continent" of Arctica, which we were taught still existed in my childhood.

I'm going to keep searching for evidence and I will update this post if I find any new references.

Comments

  1. Have you already seen the X Files episode on the Mandela Effect?

    ReplyDelete
  2. New Zealand was one island and wider, fatter. The new New Zealand looks completely foreign to me. I studied maps of New Zealand for several years from about 2004-2010, because I was looking to be a WOOFER there and would plan out where I would like to work, what to do on my days off, etc. I was too psychically ill, but each year I would plan again in hopes of being able to do it. I don't even recognize this new New Zealand. It's like Canada too. I used to go there a lot in college, and now it has so much water via the Hudson Bay that just wasn't there before! Or how huge Cuba is now. Freaky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much! I don't feel so crazy now! I was a nerdy kid, always looking at globes and maps. As an adult, I was too busy working and stuff, so I didn't get a chance to do much map searching. When I did finally get a globe again, around 2014 or so, I looked at New Zealand and it was completely foreign to me as well. I would not have forgotten something as basic as the shape of a country or the number of islands, even of I hadn't looked at maps in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was looking today and I remembered New Zealand as one island with a North and South and Wellington was in the middle - not on the coast?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment